Whoa, 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM you say, that's awfully stinking early! In years past the Village's hours were always 5 PM to 7 PM, why the change?
The answer is pretty simple. One thing that area residents have expressed a strong desire for is preserving the view of the night's sky. Over the years the Village has worked hard in support of that goal and has limited streetlight placement and this summer adopted a light pollution ordinance. One of the side of the effects of protecting the great nightime views is the lack of streetlights on our side streets. When this is coupled with the lack of sidewalks and other pedestrian friendly features, we felt that it was important to set hours when there is sufficient light in order to keep the evening fun and safe for everyone.
Once you get done at Lake Isabella, there will still be time left in the night to enjoy trick-or-treating in other Isabella County communiteis. If you plan to take your children to Mount Pleasant or Beal City, their hours are 6 PM to 8 PM. Shepherd is 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM.
No matter where you go, here are a few safety tips to keep in mind:
- Carry a flashlight with fresh batteries after dark.
- Always trick or treat in groups, accompanied by an adult.
- Plan your route ahead of time.
- Stay on the sidewalks (if any) and out of the streets. Cross only at intersections and designated crosswalks.
- Walk. No running.
- Walk with your head up and be aware of your surroundings.
- Only visit well lit houses. Don't stop at dark houses.
- Don't enter any houses unless you know the people.
- Carry a spare Halloween bag -- in case yours breaks or you fill your original one.
- Don't approach unfamiliar pets and animals.
- Don't cut across yards and stay out of back yards.
- Always watch for cars backing up or turning.
- Never accept rides from strangers.
- Respect other people and their property.
- Be polite and say "thank you."